Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Marbling With India Ink

I was thumbing through one of my all time favorite books that I loved as a child: Making Things by Ann Sayre Wiseman and found a project that was titled Smoke Painting....it  seemed intriguing so we decided to give it a try.  It basically turned out to be Marbling with India Ink.  I loved the effect of it and each time we tried it there were interesting results.  




To create a "Smoke Painting" you'll need:

India Ink
 a shallow tray or pan
water
sticks
combs
white paper/envelopes


To begin,  fill your pan about halfway with water.



Then drip in the india ink in the water.



Next,  take your stick and swirl the ink around to make a marbled effect.



When my daughter swirled the ink it had a whole different effect. 




After the swirling, lay a white paper or the front of an envelope on the ink swirls.  Tap it gently. Then lift up and place on newspaper to dry.



Here are some of our very different results:
Kind of like Jupiter?



Reminds me of a print I made in Printmaking Class in college.



Mysterious?



Eeeerie....


Maybe we'll save some of these for Halloween. They have a very dark feel to them.

Let me know what you think...



This post shared with: It's Playtime

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.comMay 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM

    It is very intriguing indeed! Super great project for little minds, and their fertile imagination!

    ReplyDelete