Monday, December 19, 2011

Painted Christmas Sugar Cookies

Have you ever painted on cookies before? We had so much FUN doing this and it was such a nice change of pace compared to the usual sprinkles and frosting decor! It is so unbelievably easy to do and has beautiful results...as you can see here.  Painting on cookies is a great way for kids to take ownership of their cookie creations!!! Keep reading to find out how we did this!


First we made the sugar cookies and cut out the shapes.  Cassie never tires of this...it is the third or fourth time we've done this so far this holiday season! Here is a great recipe for Sugar cookies here just in case you don't have one.


For the paint we used evaporated milk and food coloring.  I just filled an ice cube tray with evaporated milk in each section and then put a few drops of food coloring.  I mixed them together with a toothpick.
We used a new paint brush that never touched real paint for the decorating.


After mixing up the paints, we painted directly on the uncooked cookies.  C and I had a wonderful afternoon painting cookies.  She was so proud of herself!  We felt like "Cookie Artists" creating little paintings on dough.  Fun, fun, fun!  Can you believe I've never done this before?  I  absolutely LOVED doing this and plan to do it for other holiday sugar cookies!



Here is how some of them look before they are cooked.  Sorry about the glare of the foil in this picture!


Here are some finished cookies all ready to eat!  I love the shiny look they have, and of course they are delicious too!  The center cookie of C's traced hand looks a little like a Halloween cookie with those green fingernails!!! What do you think?


Gosh... we've done a lot of baking for this holiday season.  Be sure to check out our Cocoa Press Christmas Tree Cookies, Chocolate Christmas Sugar Cookies,  So Easy Peppermint Bark, and more that I haven't posted!

Do you have all your Holiday baking finished?

This post is linked to: Made By You Monday, It's Playtime

9 comments:

  1. colours are just so full of joy perfect for this happy Holly Season, you 2 rock!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    this is one of the nicest cookie decorating ideas I've seen in a long time.
    They turned out beautifully, and I love that the process is so involving for the child.
    Thank you for your wonderful Christmas ideas this season.
    Happy Holidays to you and Cassie!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember doing this as a kid! Your cookies turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dd will love this especially since she is not a huge fan of decorating with sticky frosting except licking it off her fingers. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful change of pace for decorating cookies. I featured your post on the Montessori MOMents facebook page. Thanks for all you do to inspire and enlighten us!

    facebook.com/MontessoriMOMents

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely pretty and so much fun. Gosh - yes - you guys have done a lot of baking this season! We've hardly done any. This inspires me to take up a baking project next with my daughter...
    Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! We used food coloring to paint on baked cookies, but not on raw. I've gotta try this - even though it's probably going to be after the holidays by now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to report that we made these, and my daughter loved it. I wish we had a bigger batch of cookies to work with. We used condensed milk since I thought it was the same thing as evaporated milk. It still worked well as a painting material, but the only thing I noticed was that it did make the edges browned perhaps because of the sugar in the milk carmelizing. They still tasted good, and you're right that the shiny effect is lovely on the cookies. I

    ReplyDelete